Skin Care Tips: Underarms
As requested, here’s a blog post about my underarms… or how I take care of them? Or how do I keep them “white” or something? Lol, I don’t really know because I’m very low maintenance when it comes to my underarms.
These tips are based from my experience and does not guarantee that it will work on you. If you have a severe skin problem, it is best to consult a doctor.
1. Refrain from shaving, plucking and/or use hair removal creams. I’ve tried all of them, by the way. With shaving and hair removal cream, you just affect the hair on the surface and not the hair underneath. This is one of the many factors why underarms are darker. Not to mention, both can cause ingrown hair making your pits itchy and all that stuff.
Plucking, on the other hand, removes the hair from the root but it’s time consuming. And excessive plucking = chicken skin. Eww.
I recommend waxing because it’ll pull the hair from the root, in one go. I’ve tried several waxing salons but I usually go to Lay Bare or Strip. I prefer Lay Bare because they’re inexpensive and they use sugar wax jelly that exfoliates my skin.
Note: This tip is only for your armpits. You can still shave, pluck and use hair removal creams on other parts of your body.
2. Less deodorants and antiperspirants. I don’t use deodorants and antiperspirants but a lot of beauty sites suggested that you should not use these deodorants and antiperspirants excessively, because they have chemical compounds that can cause underarm darkness. I don’t know how true is that but I’ll just put it here for your reference.
3. Don’t scratch ‘em. I think this is a very common ‘mannerism’ when you shave. Going back to the #1 tip - wax. You should also refrain from wearing tight clothing.
4. Exfoliate. When I take a bath, I get my loofah and gently exfoliate my underarms with my Johnson’s Baby Milk Bath. Why am I using that product? No particular reason, I just like that product a lot because it keeps my skin baby soft. :)
5. Consult a dermatologist. A real dermatologist, ok. Do not go to those beauty clinics found in malls. You can also go to Belo, Facial Care Centre and Marie France(?) but only if you’ve exhausted all means.
6. Confidence, baby! So what if your underarms aren’t that fair? That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enjoy wearing sleeveless! Don’t dress to impress others.
A Little Q&A
Does waxing hurt?
For underarms, not so much. I think it’ll be a bit painful during the first two sessions though.
What kind of deodorants or antiperspirants do you use?
None. I stopped using them since high school. There are times that I do get smell (i.e. after a sports activity), I pour a small amount of hand sanitizer on a tissue paper and wipe it on my underarms… or I take a really long bath and do #4.
I want to completely remove the hair. Is there any way to do this?
Yes, through IPL treatments. I’ve been taking IPL treatments for some time now, but I had to put it on hold because of my sudden change of residency. The IPL treatments did lessen the amount of hair regrowth, but I’m not 100% sure that it will completely remove the hair.
Have you ever used any whitening products for your underarms?
A few times. My mom once bought me an underarm skincare kit and it did help lighten my pits but it also made my skin ridiculously thinner or sensitive. So sensitive that I had to stop waxing for two months.
You should also read this article posted on Female Network: How To Fix Common Underarm Problems
One final tip: Learn how to love yourself and embrace your flaws. The moment you decided to do that, I can guarantee you that both your inner and outer beauty will shine. :)