Life In A Nutshell #76
Hello my little mermaids, how are you? How’s the love month been treating you? I must say, mine’s been pretty swell. I know that I’ve been out of the loop lately but I don’t mind because it feels good to disconnect from the Internet and focus on other things I’ve been meaning to do.
Lately, I’ve been…
Reading. I’ve joined the bandwagon and started reading Divergent by Veronica Roth. I’m still in the early chapters though, so there’s not much to say. And just in case you’re wondering, the last book I’ve read was Eleanor & Park.
Watching. New movies, National Geographic, and the like. I’m outdated with my US TV series though. I’ll probably try and catch up next month when I finally have a decent Internet connection.
Playing. I’ve recently installed PCSX on my Macbook Air. I wanted to continue my Chrono Cross game but execute that my copy of the memory card wasn’t updated, so I decided to play Final Fantasy 8 instead.
Working. I’ve got a list to complete but I’m 80% done with my blog backlogs, so expect new entries by March! :)
Thinking. I’ve been thinking about several passion projects I want to execute for 2014. It’s too early to say anything about these projects, but I hope I’ll be successful in fulfilling them (I probably need a order management workflow). Also thinking about things I want to buy online, like stuff from http://www.katydid.com.
Appreciating. I took an unannounced and indefinite blog hiatus but I’m incredibly thankful to everyone who still took the time to visit and read my blog. <3
The Monday Grace #08
The Monday Grace is a (weekly) segment/project here at The Style Mermaid. The aim of this project is to dissolve that sense of dread we often feel every Monday, and replace it with happier, kinder and grateful thoughts. :)
- Something personal. I’ve been waiting for this ‘thing’ to happen and when it finally did, I felt a little bit lost… and honestly, quite unprepared! A friend told me that it’s probably because I’m overwhelmed with what’s happening. If there’s one thing I’ve learned, no amount of planning can ever prepare you for the emotional shock.
- Things happen for a reason. It’s hard to explain this, so I’ll just use a personal experience as an example. Last year, I got hired for a job that I found out I didn’t like. After the first month, I asked myself, “Why am I here? There has to be a purpose or lesson here.” Then the Universe gave me the opportunity to join Big Blog Exchange. I requested for a month-leave because it’s Europe and all expense paid! You might as well take advantage of it while you’re there, right? They were kind enough to approve my request but in a different corporate setting? I’d probably get myself fired. And I figured, maybe that’s why I got this job in the first place. Whatever we’re going through now is just a stepping stone or leverage to help us achieve something better.
- It’s okay if you don’t know what you want to do with your life. Truth is, it doesn’t feel okay to realize that your life is still a mess at 23, 25 or even 30… especially when the people around you are successful and probably happily married. But deep in my heart, I know that I will one day know what I really want to do in life. And I know that I am not completely lost and I will get to that place when the time is right. We all do.
- The kindness of people will always surprise you. I am surrounded by good people. I don’t ask much from them but in the time of need, I’m utterly grateful for their kind heart. Their act of kindness may not be a big or grand thing, but it means the world to me. Always be kind.
- The effect of The Monday Grace. A number of people have told me how inspiring and powerful this project is and I’m glad. It warms my heart every time I hear such things, because that’s really the purpose of this project — to inspire. The Monday Grace is not merely a list of happy things, but an outlet to be thankful and to look forward to better and great things… most especially on a Monday, a day that we often perceived as negative and awful. So, thank you to those who joined the project and to those who left such kind words. <3
Singapore Tour 2013/14
Just a glimpse of the places, meals and things I’ve seen two weeks ago. As you may all know, my boyfriend’s family spent New Year here in Singapore and they invited me to join them tour the country… like it’s my first time. I’ll admit, the tour did felt like my first (and last since I plan to leave Singapore soon). My adventure with them was a ‘first’ of many things! I ate food I’ve never tasted before, joined an indoor sky diving/wind tunnel activity out of a whim, swim on the famous infinity pool of Marina Bay Sands, and so on. I even saw an exceptional chauvet double derby at musicians friend. I was so engrossed in living in the moment that I barely even used my DSLR or iPhone (hence the limited photos). Although I got sick the week after, it was a memorable way to end 2013 and start 2014. :)
Year-Ender: Thirteen Moments in 2013
Somebody asked me last night if I’m going to do a Blog Review his year and I said no, because the biggest highlight of 2013 was the Big Blog Exchange and I felt I’m going to be redundant when I’m going to post a BBE recap next month. But today, I woke up thinking maybe I should share 13 moments that happened to me in 2013.
- Pursuing a Happiness Project.
- Learning the ropes of being an OFW, like how to get an OEC.
- Joining the Big Blog Exchange!
- Went to Boracay with my boyfriend on our 4th anniversary.
- To be chosen as one of the 16 bloggers to be part of the Big Blog Exchange! Best of all, I get to go to the United Kingdom!
- My UK Visa got approved a week before the trip! This was a huge thing for me because if ever I got denied, then no BBE adventure for me. And I really invested a lot on BBE, including tears!
- Rebuilding my makeup collection because I can no longer collect shoes and clothes. Haha! At least with makeup, I can just put them in the humongous train case my boyfriend gave me.
- I am not the type of person who’s into designer brands but I received a gorgeous watch from my dad. I wear it on special occasions. :3
- Embracing my natural curls, and a lot of people thought I got them permed. I also got highlights!
- The Monday Grace Project
- Spending Christmas alone.
- Experiencing new things, such as new food and Indoor Sky Diving.
- I can definitely say that I am happier now than I was last year.
How about you? What are your 13 Moments in 2013? :)
The Monday Grace #07
It’s been a month since I’ve done this. Somehow, I have found a way to make Mondays bearable (or even enjoyable) these past few weeks. While the purpose of this segment was to write the things that I’m thankful for, I noticed that it’s more of a positive thought bubble. :)
- Singapore Adventure with Cariza! Cariza visited Singapore last month for the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who… BUT I don’t think she watched that special episode. She was too busy roaming around Singapore’s quirky spots. She’s the type of traveler who wanders the road less travelled. Spending time with her was also like a breath of fresh air, especially when it comes to a tourist’s perspective about Singapore.
- What have I’ve been up to lately? Just reading. This is why I’ve been to lazy to blog, I guess… I’ve always hated the fact that it takes 45 minutes for me to get home, but reading a good book makes the whole “17 stops and 17 traffic lights” trip bearable.
- The VSCO Team featured one of my photographs! I am honored and inspired to be selected. :)
- I finally got a TLR camera! The camera looks complicated but it’s actually very easy to use. But I must admit, it takes time for me to get used to the controls because I’m left-handed.
- Spending New Year with my boyfriend and his family. I couldn’t afford to go home for the holidays, so that sucks. But my boyfriend’s family will spend New Year here. They also invited me to join them tour the country! :3
- Making a Dream List. I’m in a crossroad, and I need to make a decision soon… but I feel so lost. I honestly have no idea what I want in life. Is this what you call a quarter life crisis? Whatever this is, making a dream list made things a little bit manageable. Because now, I have something to focus on.
- Realization: Indulge in sadness. I learned that you have to indulge yourself in that sadness, even for a little while, because that’s the only time you can finally embrace happiness. Happiness should not be a forced choice.
- You and Me. Forever, always. :)
Christmas is just a few days away! Wow. I wish I could feel the holiday spirit but Singapore is not really into? Anyway, do remember that this season is not just about receiving presents and eating good food, it’s about being thankful of what you have and giving first to those in need. This year, a lot of people lost their homes and loved ones, try to help them and be charitable.
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas, cupcakes! <3